A few days ago Hub was at work and Vindoo was with his grandparents, so I was chilling at home. The Time by The Black Eyed Peas started playing on my iPod. Love that song. But it’s impossible to listen to it without thinking about Dirty Dancing. So I thought about it! I thought about how much I love that movie, how many times I watched it when I was growing up and how crazy I drove my family making them watch it too (while I recited every line along with the film).
It was totally natural for my thoughts to move on to all the other movies I love(d) to watch. So I thought I’d share some of my favourites. Songs, quotes, scenes – and in no particular order. Apart from the first one, of course – since that’s the one that started all this!
1. Dirty Dancing (I always wished I could be Baby)
We all know this quote:
Johnny Castle: No one puts Baby in a corner
(This was difficult to choose – because I was thinking about spaghetti arms, watermelons and playpens!)
2. Sixteen Candles (I watched this film seventeen times in four days when I was fourteen. And I will still watch it whenever I can!)
Jake Ryan: Happy birthday, Samantha. Make a wish.
Samantha Baker: Well, it already came true.
(I used to have *the* biggest crush on Jake Ryan.)
3. Gone with the Wind (I think this is due to my mum’s and sister‘s influence)
Hah! No! My chosen quote is not about Rhett Butler not giving a damn!
It is, in fact…
Scarlett O’Hara: I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow.
(I’m exactly the same!)
4. The Wizard of Oz (I don’t know. Don’t ask).
The Wicked Witch of the West: I’ll get you my pretty. And your little dog too!
5. Sister Act (Think what you like. I LOVE this movie.)
Delores: ALMA! Check your battery. Can you give me an A please?
6. Grease (Come on! Everyone loves this movie! Love the soundtrack. And I love John Travolta!)
Danny: That’s cool baby, you know how it is, rockin’ and rollin’ and what not.
Danny: That’s my name, don’t wear it out.
Sandy: What’s the matter with you?
Danny: What’s the matter with me, baby, what’s the matter with you?
Sandy: What happened to the Danny Zuko I met at the beach?
Danny: Well I do not know. Maybe there’s two of us. Why don’t you take out a missing person’s ad? Or try the yellow pages, I don’t know.
Sandy: You’re a fake and a phony and I wish I never laid eyes on you!
(I can just imagine their voices and everything)
7. Sister Act 2 (Again – Think what you want. I love it!)
I had to choose two. Is that cheating? I couldn’t help it….
a) Sister Mary Clarence: If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere, you better wake up and pay attention.
b) Sister Mary Clarence: I am not, nor have I ever been a Las Vegas showgirl. I… Am a headliner!
8. Grease 2 (Don’t judge me. I watched this over and over again as well!)
Stephanie (singing): I want a whole lot more than the boy next door. I want hell on wheels.
9. Jerry Maguire (I’ve watched this movie a number of times. I enjoy it, but I can’t say it’s one of my favourites. I just love the following quote. No, it’s not ‘You had me at hello’ or ‘You complete me’.
Dorothy: I love him! I love him for the man he wants to be. And I love him for the man he almost is.
Oh – and I asked Hub to give me a quote from one of his all-time favourite films.
He said: Say hello to my little friend. (From Scarface)
There were so many more I should have included – Pretty Woman, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady and about a million more… But I didn’t want to bore you (anymore!)!